Sunday, August 2, 2009

Credit and Teenagers

Recently my youngest daughter got her first credit card. It is a MasterCard with a very low limit. She is to charge things for school on it and then pay it off at the end of the month. So far so good.

Fri Night she goes shopping with a friend. The sales girl in a very popular juniors store asked her and her friend if they would like rewards cards. They say yes and fill out the form. She opens both girls credit cards and neither realized until she had them sign the receipt and gives them temporary cards.

Mine called immediately and asked me to come to the mall. She wouldn't tell me what was up until I got there. I told her it was OK just be very careful with this and be sure not to open another one. She can pay this off and either use it occasionally or never again. It's up to her.

I went into two other popular junior stores with her over the weekend and they are all pushing reward cards that are actually credit cards. I don't think my daughter and her friend will fall for this again but how many young adults end up with a hand full of credit cards due to this practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment